August 27, 2009

Behind the Lens


The shoot location was a side alley of an industrial business park in Mesa. It was Saturday afternoon and things seemed nice and quiet. I canvassed the area and made sure if I shot there, we would not be in the way of normal business traffic. The set up and prep-work was easy; things were off to a great start. Half way through shooting, a police car slowly approached checking out what we were doing. I gave the officer a wave and he was on his way. About five minutes later the officer drove by again, even slower this time. It looked like he was on his CB radio; I figured he was running my license plate or something, no big deal, I continued shooting. The officer stopped his car for a brief moment, keeping a close eye on the photo shoot, the officer was still talking on the CB. I decided to go over and confirm with the officer that everything was okay. I started walking towards the police car when all of a sudden, tires starting squealing, lights and sirens were turned on, and in a cloud of dust the officer was gone. Looking back on what happened, I figure that the officer was doing nothing more that just watching the photo shoot when he received a dispatch call… funny though, at the time, it seemed like he was going to come over and ask us to leave, like if we were in the wrong for being in the back alley. HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment